AppDictions App Review
Surf Creatures is a amazing interactive book for kids that is absolutely illustrated beautifully. Surf Creatures is about 26 friendly and fierce creatures that live under the surfboard of world champion surfer Shaun Tomson. This book is one of a kind! It’s the first to feature Storytalk, which enables up to four people to record their voices. This functionality allows you to become the narrator of the book and participate in the story telling to your kids. With over 80 stunning, hand-drawn pages, your family is sure to enjoy this amazing story!
Beautifully illustrated catchy and crazy rhymes for kids about 26 friendly and fierce creatures that live under the surfboard of world champion surfer Shaun Tomson.
The very first and only application of its kind to feature Storytalk™, enabling up to four people to record their own voices so the whole family can rhyme about the cool creatures that live in the surf zone. This fun and easy-to-use app for the iPhone and iPad was written and created by surf legend and environmentalist Shaun Tomson!
While learning all about elephant seals, killer whales, and tiger sharks (oh my!), kids are sure to be delighted by the entertaining and educational rhymes, beautifully illustrated graphics, and realistic sound effects.
Three ways to enjoy Surf Creatures
- “Play” – listen as Tomson himself reads the rhymes, with words highlighted as they are spoken.
- “Record my own voice” – use Storytalk™ to record your own narration. Up to four users can record and save their own voices!
- “Play my own voice” – read along with your own prerecorded tracks.
Surf Creatures’ Features
- 26 rhymes about the fierce and friendly creatures that live in the surf zone—all written by world champion surfer Shaun Tomson!
- Over 80 pages of stunning, hand-drawn images of the aquatic inhabitants.
- Realistic sound effects and cheerful music to enhance the user’s audio experience.
- Helps to improve reading and listening comprehension skills.
- Promotes reading in young children as words are highlighted when spoken.
- Teaches children all about the creatures that live in the surf zone, making them more environmentally-aware.
- Mom, Dad, Grandpa and Grandma can all record their own voices to be able to read to the child even when they are not present.
“Surf Creatures makes me feel like I am 6 years old again – and then I could look forward to 60 more years of surfing. I love it!” – Ricky Grigg, Professor of Oceanography, University of Hawaii
“One of the most important things the Surfrider Foundation feels a child can do is connect with our oceans, and we love Surf Creatures for that reason. It is wonderful that this application strives to build that relationship at a young age and make it personal by allowing a familiar voice to tell a story from the sea animal’s perspective.” – Jim Moriarty, CEO, Surfrider Foundation
“Shaun is a surfing icon and knows a lot about the surf zone. This app is an excellent and amusing way for kids and parents to learn about creatures that underneath his surfboard.”
Jack O’Neill – inventor of the wetsuit, entrepreneur and environmentalist
About Shaun Tomson
Shaun Tomson has been listed as one of the 25 most influential surfers of the century and as one of the 16 greatest surfers of all time. He is the author of the best-selling book Surfer’s Code– 12 Simple Lessons for Riding Through Life and the producer of the award-winning documentary film Bustin’ Down the Door.
Tomson is a businessman and environmentalist who resides in Santa Barbara, California, with his wife Carla and young son Luke. He is an inspirational speaker for corporations, schools and universities and is working on new book, film and apparel projects. He is a board member and ambassador for Surfrider Foundation, the world’s largest environmental group dedicated to protecting the world’s ocean, waves and beaches.
He still spends time searching for the perfect wave, while doing his best to avoid Tiger Sharks and Zambezis.
Compatible with iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad. Requires iOS 3.2 or later