AppDictions App Review
Learning languages can be difficult work, especially when you’re on vacation and find yourself to be a bit rusty on the local language. Thankfully, Reference dictionaries such as this one exist to assist you when you’re struggling. The fantastic English-Spanish dictionary by Word Magic has absolutely everything you need to get to know the Spanish (or English) language.
For a start, you are able to search for a word in either of the languages and it then not only finds the same word in the opposite language, but also finds synonyms, descriptions and quotes in both languages.
Think it ends there? Look again. The part of this app that really kills the competition is the amazing built-in speech synthesis which works for all of the descriptions, words and quotes. It sounds brilliant and allows you to get your pronunciation right every time!
English Spanish Reference Dictionary is currently available in the app store for $7.99. The pricing sounds steep, but honestly if you have a need for this type of app it is well worth the price. You get what you pay for and with this app you actually get a lot more. We highly recommend English Spanish Reference Dictionary!!
Featured by Apple in “New & Noteworthy” in USA, Spain, Argentina, Chile and Mexico. With voice in English and Spanish! Over 630,000 entries; over 1.1 million translations and 1.8 million synonyms. Pronunciation in English and Spanish of all words and phrases. Largest collection of idiomatic expressions and proverbs in both languages. Important note: This is a Translation Dictionary. It is not supposed to include definitions. However, we’ve added definitions as a bonus.
- Unique in its huge vocabulary size and meaning comprehensiveness.
- More than 1.1 million translations. Three times the size of its closest competitor!
- More than 1.8 million synonyms, each one linked to its exact word connotation.
- More than 60,000 color pictures help identify word meanings and context. * [Int]
- Includes some curiosities such as the following (and many more):
- 1,332 fish names & their translations
- 1,917 names of foods and dishes around the world & translations
- 8,248 names of famous historic characters
- 13,100 famous people of today in arts, movies, sports, politics, etc.
- 10,672 geographical names: cites, countries, nationalities, etc.
- 4,255 names of largest corporations in the US and Europe
- 3,322 names of largest universities in the US and Europe
- Luxurious leather-like interface.
- Innovative “Scan Function” for conceptual search of idioms and related phrases. *
- Only one in its kind: Word definitions in both languages at the same time.
- Full pronunciation of entries, examples, definitions and quotes in both languages. [Int]
- Clear-cut meaning identification using our “Descriptive Meaning Tag” on each entry.]
- Usage examples in both languages at the same time. *
- More than 540,000 antonyms, each one linked to its true word meaning.
- Randomly selected Quotes and Humor Quips, linked to search-word meaning. *
- Grammar attributes and notes.
- Well-defined classification of entries by part of speech and context.
- Color-coded usage-frequency classification for each entry (difficult, normal or easy). *
- Extensive classification of words by field and specialty application. *
- Noun type classification –concrete, abstract, animate, animal, groups, etc. –. *
- Indication of localisms (foreign terms) with corresponding country’s flag icon.
- Covers International, European, Latin American and Mexican Spanish.
- Covers American and British English.
- On/Off display of slang, foreign or offensive words. Default OFF.
- Shake for random word display.
- Search History.
- Mark Favorite Words.
- Intelligent language recognition. Enter Spanish Word and it shifts to Spanish. *
- Its user-friendly, intuitive design uses minimum possible number of taps.
- Captions in English or Spanish determined by device default language. *
- Last but not least, another unique feature of Word Magic Dictionaries: Each idiom, each proverb, each compound verb or set phrase is treated as an independent searchable entry with its own translations, synonyms, antonyms, examples and linguistic attributes. You can use the regular Search Function or, if you are in for an overabundance, use Word Magic’s brand-new feature: the Scan Function. *
* = These features are unique to WM Dictionaries. Not found in any other dictionary.
[Int] = These features require Internet connection.
Our General Reference dictionary focuses on comprehensiveness. Unlike other translation dictionaries, WM affords not only one (preferred) translation for each entry but many more, so as to enable the User to choose the most appropriate meaning, like a painter with a palette of colors. Furthermore, it has definitions in English and Spanish at the same time. It displays usage examples, synonyms.
Compatible with iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad. Requires iOS 3.1 or later